Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cancer Fatigue

Cancer Fatigue is a kinda nasty side effect of treatment for cancer. I was told that I might experience some loss of stamina and have some weakness after my treatments. That's pretty easy to ignore. What I actually experienced wasn't so easy to ignore.

Cancer fatigue seems to defy logic. It would seem logical that not exerting a lot of energy would save stamina, but that's not how it works. I have to be physically active for at least half an hour every couple of hours or I run out of gas and can't stay awake without coffee or something similar.

The job I used to have was a desk job where I wrote SQL computer instructions. That's a desk job that requires a lot of focus and concentration. That didn't work out well with cancer fatigue.

My application for Short Term Disability insurance has been denied, so I've lost my job, since I've been off work a couple of months while I'm concentrating on building up some stamina.

I'm starting to think that cancer fatigue can be controlled, but not cured. In the last 4 months I've only had 4 days where I was able to stay awake for 12 or more consecutive hours. I suspect I could be doing better if I had a rigorous exercise schedule, but I'm 62 and I've never required a rigorous exercise schedule. Changing life patterns after 60 years is not easy.

I've lost my job, which means I have to cover my own insurance without an employer contributing. Decent insurance for me and my wife is about $1,000 a month. I guess I should count my blessings for having things set up to where I think I can handle that until I'm eligible for Medicare and my wife is eligible for Social Security.

No comments: